Thursday 10 November 2011

Thread-craft.


Konichiwa!

I learned to cross stitch when I was about 8 or 9 (I think) in the usual way I picked up a craft. I was bored. My poor mother has spent so much money on me being bored over the years - sets of acrylic and watercolour paints, a violin, those awful scratchy copper pictures, bags of beads and big bundles of fabric scraps to name a few purchases. We bought a beginners cross stitch kit, I cant remember the pattern, but It was one of those with everything included. So, I had a go, enjoyed it for a few days and then got fed up (curse you short attention span!). I remember my younger brother (by 2 years) picked it up and actually got quite into it, which I, the mean big sister I was, laughed at him for (sorry Ben).

2 years ago Steven's mum (who knows what a craft fiend I am) gave me a box full of multicoloured thread, which up until a couple of weeks ago I had used mainly for friendship bracelets and a couple of bits of jewellery. I decided to buy some aida and have another go at cross stitch. I LOVE 8-bit / pixelated things and thought it'd be fairly easy to work out the pattern from a picture, one pixel equalling one cross.



Boo (tried to edge it, but I don't like how it looks).


Bob-Omb.


 Goomba.


Scott Pilgrim <3 (Getting more adventurous by this point. Scott and Kim form part of a set but I ran out of aida before I could finish Stephen Stills).


We are Sex Bob-Omb (ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!)


 My coffee table, covered in supplies!
   

Some freehand embroidery practice and button flowers.


Dayglobots (freehand stitching on black fabric).


I spent about 3 hours yesterday trying to hand appliqué a Cylon onto a black background, but I think I need to practice a bit more before taking on something tricky, especially when I'm only just learning.

Today's plan involves more robots. Yay robots!

Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment